Head & Neck Cancer
Serious, but Preventable
Head and Neck cancer is a very serious condition affecting more than 55,000 Americans, 13,000 of which will die from it; however, with proper treatment and attention, most head and neck cancers are preventable.
The easiest way to prevent this cancer is to stop use of all tobacco products. Tobacco is the leading cause of head and neck cancer. On the up side these cancers usually produce early warning signs.
You should consult a doctor immediately if you experience any of the following:
– A lump in the neck (these usually spread to the lymph nodes before spreading elsewhere)
– Change in voice (most cancers in the larynx will cause changes in the voice)
– Growth in the mouth (a sore swelling of mouth or tongue that will not go away)
– Coughing up Blood
– Problems swallowing (typical of esophageal cancer)
– Changes in the Skin (the most common head and neck cancer is basal cell cancer, which is rarely serious if treated early. Melanoma, will produce blue-black discolorations of the skin and changes in moles. Squamous cell cancers usually occur on the lower lip and ear)
– Persistent Earache (may be a sign of tumor growth in the throat)
If you think you may be suffering from a form of head and neck cancer, contact Miya & Torchinsky immediately to begin the path of diagnosis and treatment.